655 Willowside Rd
Santa Rosa, CA 95401


Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm welcomes students from all over the world who are interested in attending a Waldorf school in California. Summerfield offers a specially designed English Language Development program for our international students. Students can choose to study as an exchange student, a short term visitor (less than one year), or as a long term international student (more than one year). 

Short-Term International Students (less than one year)

There are two types of short term students: exchange students (do not pay tuition) and short term visitors (pay tuition). Exchange students and short term visitors are not required to have proficiency in English. 

Exchange students have an exchange partner. You will attend Summerfield and live with your partner's family, and then in turn, your partner will come visit your school and live with your family. Most of our exchanges are with Spanish and German speaking countries, and occassionally with French speaking countries. Students will not pay tution or housing expenses, but will be responsible for their own airfare, medical expenses, and pocket money. 

If you are interested in doing an exchange with a Summerfield student, please write a letter to the Summerfield Exchange Coordinator requesting an exchange partner. Please contact exchange(at)summerfieldwaldorforg for more information. 

Short-term visitors do not have an exchange partner. Stays are usually between 3 to 10 months. These students pay school tuition and any host family expenses. If you are interested studying without an exchange partner, please contact the admissions director - admissions(at)summerfieldwaldorforg.

You may also fill out the short term visitor application form here.

Long-Term International Students (more than one year)

If a student would like to enroll in our school as an international student for one year or more, then that student must go through the Admissions process which also requires a minimum English language test score if applying to grades 7 to 12. Students are also offered support in our English Language Development program and additional after school homework tutoring. 

For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about applying to the High School (grades 9 to 11) click here

For a list of Frequently Asked Questions about applying to the Lower School (grades 1-8) click here


Summerfield is registered with SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, to enroll international students using F-1 visas. Summerfield produces an I-20 form once enrollment conditions have been met that allows a student to apply for a visa at a US Embassy abroad. Applicants must allow 6-8 weeks of lead time for this process prior to the beginning of the school schedule and summer intensive studies. Please contact admissions(at)summerfieldwaldorforg for more information.

Homestay Policy

Students must live with a parent, a family relative, or a legally-appointed agent who will be invested in the student’s educational experience and commitment to Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm, as well as ensuring their wellbeing. Some students may be assigned a homestay option through the organization International Student Placements (http://www.isphomestays.com).

Students in grade 8 and below must be accompanied by their parent during their entire time as a student at Summerfield. It is also possible for parents to get a student visa for themselves at one of the local English schools. Please visit ELS Santa Rosa or SSALI at Sonoma State